'This is probably my last year in football,' says Cristiano Ronaldo

FILE - Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo waves following the World Cup Group K soccer match between Colombia and Portugal in Miami Gardens, Fla., Saturday, June 27, 2026. (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell, file)
FILE - Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo waves following the World Cup Group K soccer match between Colombia and Portugal in Miami Gardens, Fla., Saturday, June 27, 2026. (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell, file)
FILE - Cristiano Ronaldo, left, and his partner Georgina Rodriguez watch the second practice session at the Monaco racetrack, in Monaco, May 23, 2019. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno, File)
FILE - Cristiano Ronaldo, left, and his partner Georgina Rodriguez watch the second practice session at the Monaco racetrack, in Monaco, May 23, 2019. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno, File)
Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

RIYADH (AP) — Cristiano Ronaldo says this Saudi Pro League season is likely to be the last of his professional career.

The 41-year-old superstar’s contract with Riyadh club Al-Nassr, signed in December 2022, expires next June, and he has told Vogue magazine that another is unlikely.

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.

The Portugal forward, who has scored 976 career goals, married long-time partner, Georgina Rodriguez, earlier this month.

“I have my future all mapped out,” he said. “I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard. Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one.

“And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I’ve earned — what we’ve earned. Because after all, it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”

The 2026-27 SPL season is Ronaldo’s 25th as a professional. During his career, he has won five Ballon d’Or awards and five UEFA Champions League titles.

Ronaldo’s 28 league goals last season helped Al-Nassr become champion of Saudi Arabia in May to secure his first trophy since arriving in Riyadh, and a first league title for the club since 2019.

After returning from his wedding, he missed Al-Nassr’s first game of its title defense on Saturday, watching from the sidelines as it opened with a 3-0 win over Al-Fateh.

“Cristiano is here today, and he is always present with us,” Al-Nassr coach Ange Postecoglou said after the game.

Ronaldo could play against Al-Diriyah in the King’s Cup on Tuesday.

“The most important thing now is recovery, especially as we have only two days after this match,” former Tottenham Hotspur and Nottingham Forest coach Postecoglou said.

Ronaldo’s comments came days after long-time rival Lionel Messi revealed that, following his father’s death, he may soon retire.

“I don’t know how to carry on,” Messi, 39, said. “I used to just play football, and now I’m really not sure if I’ll carry on doing it for much longer.”

__

See AP’s full soccer coverage here

 

Salem News Channel Today

Sponsored Links

On Air & Up Next

  • O’Connor & Company
    3:00AM - 6:00AM
     
    From 6:00–9:00 a.m. Eastern, O’Connor & Company will drive coverage of the   >>
     
  • The Mike Gallagher Show
     
    Mike Gallagher is one of the most listened-to radio talk show hosts in America.   >>
     
  • The Alex Marlow Show
    9:00AM - 10:00AM
     
    In a time when political establishments, globalist bureaucracies, and   >>
     
  • The O'Reilly Update
    10:00AM - 10:06AM
     
    Americans need real reporting, honest analysis, and straight talk now more than   >>
     
  • The Scott Jennings Show
    10:06AM - 12:00PM
     
    Jennings is battle-tested on cable news, a veteran of four presidential   >>
     

See the Full Program Guide